Views
Helpful
Replies

MDI / MDIX

denis.ivitchev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have one end that doesn't support auto-mdix feature (namely WS-X6348-RJ-45 module on 6509) and other end does support (HP blade PCs switch) auto-mdix and it is enabled. Does anybody know what I should see on HP end - MDI or MDIX? Should I FORCE HP side to MDIX?

Thank you for any information.

Denis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denis

Your 6509 expects a cross over cable for switch to switch connection (and the link would not come up if you connect it to another switch with a straight cable and neither end could change the type). If the HP supports auto-mdix then it senses what type of cable is connected, knows what it should be, and will accommodate either type of cable connection. I would not force it and let it sense and do what it thinks is right. (I would also start with a cross over cable)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U can enable it on HP side.

Thanks

Mahmood

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denis

Your 6509 expects a cross over cable for switch to switch connection (and the link would not come up if you connect it to another switch with a straight cable and neither end could change the type). If the HP supports auto-mdix then it senses what type of cable is connected, knows what it should be, and will accommodate either type of cable connection. I would not force it and let it sense and do what it thinks is right. (I would also start with a cross over cable)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

denis.ivitchev
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card