Views
Helpful
Replies

MDI / MDIX

denis.ivitchev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have one end that doesn't support auto-mdix feature (namely WS-X6348-RJ-45 module on 6509) and other end does support (HP blade PCs switch) auto-mdix and it is enabled. Does anybody know what I should see on HP end - MDI or MDIX? Should I FORCE HP side to MDIX?

Thank you for any information.

Denis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denis

Your 6509 expects a cross over cable for switch to switch connection (and the link would not come up if you connect it to another switch with a straight cable and neither end could change the type). If the HP supports auto-mdix then it senses what type of cable is connected, knows what it should be, and will accommodate either type of cable connection. I would not force it and let it sense and do what it thinks is right. (I would also start with a cross over cable)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U can enable it on HP side.

Thanks

Mahmood

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denis

Your 6509 expects a cross over cable for switch to switch connection (and the link would not come up if you connect it to another switch with a straight cable and neither end could change the type). If the HP supports auto-mdix then it senses what type of cable is connected, knows what it should be, and will accommodate either type of cable connection. I would not force it and let it sense and do what it thinks is right. (I would also start with a cross over cable)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

denis.ivitchev
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you guys!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card