cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3725 router compatibility modules

cfrorup23
Level 1
Level 1

Is a 1 port serial WAN interface card (WIC-1T) compatible with a 3725 multiservice router? The router currently has a T1 CSU/DSU WAN interface card (WIC-1DSU-T1) card but I cannot use it because CSU/DSU uses a V.35 connection.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can't. The WIC-1DSU-T1 doesn't support voice.

If you tell us which type of interface your PBX has, we can suggest an appropriate module to connect to the 3725.

View solution in original post

Hi,

The Cisco T1 DSU/CSU WAN interface card is an integrated, fully managed Data Service Unit/Channel Service Unit (DSU/CSU) for T1 or fractional T1 service, i am unaware of any implementations of this card with a PBX system, and i don't think that it supports voice at all.

NOTE: that to use it you'll need Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(13)T, 12.2(11)YT and later.

Please do check this document for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/products_feature_guide09186a0080194a32.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

the thing is that the 3725 is not really multiservice ready, you need a voice module like nm-hvd-xxx, and can be expensive, but if you was to terminate voice on a 2801 with vwic-1t1, you could connect it via thernet to the 3725, and use all 16 channels for data, you would send compressed voice via voip.

This if I didn understand the problem correctly, else send a little diagrama of how things are connected today and how you would like to do things for change.

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Yes it is, you can use (WIC-1T) with a 3725 multiservice router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a00800b0859.shtml

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for you help.

In what scenario could the WIC-1DSU-T1 card be used? If you have a T1 line and PBX system on both sides of your LAN how could you utilize the WIC-1DSU-T1 card?

You can actually use the WIC-1DSU-T1 to directly connect to the NIU/Smartjack. The WIC-1DSU-T1 has an internal CSU, and does not require your V.35 cable to the CSU.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry, I missed the fact that voice was involved.

You can't. The WIC-1DSU-T1 doesn't support voice.

If you tell us which type of interface your PBX has, we can suggest an appropriate module to connect to the 3725.

I currently have a T1 with 16 channels, 8 voice and 8 data. The PBX and data interface are RJ-45 connecting to a CSU/DSU with a V.35 interface to the old router. What module would be best for this connection? Staying with a 1 port serial WAN interface card, like the present config. or using something different?

Hi,

the thing is that the 3725 is not really multiservice ready, you need a voice module like nm-hvd-xxx, and can be expensive, but if you was to terminate voice on a 2801 with vwic-1t1, you could connect it via thernet to the 3725, and use all 16 channels for data, you would send compressed voice via voip.

This if I didn understand the problem correctly, else send a little diagrama of how things are connected today and how you would like to do things for change.

Well with that said it would be best for me to stick with the WIC-1T, my initial question. Their is a plan to upgrade our PBX to a VoIP system but don't know how soon that will be implemented. When that becomes a topic of discussion again I will be happy to ask you for your opinion.

Thanks you have been a GREAT help.

Hi,

The Cisco T1 DSU/CSU WAN interface card is an integrated, fully managed Data Service Unit/Channel Service Unit (DSU/CSU) for T1 or fractional T1 service, i am unaware of any implementations of this card with a PBX system, and i don't think that it supports voice at all.

NOTE: that to use it you'll need Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(13)T, 12.2(11)YT and later.

Please do check this document for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/products_feature_guide09186a0080194a32.html

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card