cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS Configurations

hussainkhalid
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco ASA 5520 Series and was going through the documentation of IPS. Can anyone tell me what are the basic steps for the configuration for it. Do i need a aditional device to configure this option? What is Security Service Module? Do i need that? Is there a documentation for the setup of it? Please help! thank you

1 Reply 1

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi .. basically the ASA 5520 can provide full packet inspection by adding a module in to it. This module is the AIPSSM. Once this module has been inserted in the correct slot, then you need to establish connectivity between the ASA and the module. once you have done that, then you can proceed with configuration by using the ASA graphic interface ASDM. The below link will give you a better idea.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063705f.html

Once configured the results is :

" The ASA 5500 series adaptive security appliance supports the AIP SSM, which runs advanced

IPS software that provides further security inspection. The adaptive security appliance diverts packets

to the AIP SSM just before the packet exits the egress interface (or before VPN encryption occurs, if

configured) and after other firewall policies are applied. "

I hope it helps .. please rate it if it does !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card