cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Temperature 45 degrees on switch stack

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

My 3750g switch stack is reporting 45 degrees.

It is a stack of 8 switches. Is this normal temperature? It says that 65 is critical and thats not that far away.

What can be causing this to be so high, cpu proc is 8% constant.

4 Replies 4

oj88
Level 1
Level 1

Probably not. Though the spec says that the 3750's operating temp is between 0 to 45?C (unless you're reading is in ?F). But I personally wouldn't want it pegged at the borderline.

What's the ambient temperature? Are the switches installed on an open-bay rack or enclosed? How is air released outside of the rack/cabinet?

If the air is not released, it will circulate inside the cabinet (due to the switches' fan blowers). This will end up virtually like a thermal runaway wherein hot air from one equipment gets sucked into by the next one and so on, making the air very warm in just a few minutes.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is usually not a switch problem , you need to take a look at how hot the wiring closet is where the switch is located . Some people like to stack them right on top of one another I would keep at least a half inch between each switch .

They are stacked all together in an open rack.

Agree with previous poster, you should have some space in-between switches if possible. We have cable organizers in-between each switch. A nice A/C in the room helps too.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card