Views
Helpful
Replies

Question Requires Wireless Expert PLZ!

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

We have a customer with multiple stores and they use wireless handhelds. They used to have single VLAN and Single SSIDs and everything was working fine.

I have created multiple VLANs with Multiple SSIDs. Everything was working fine however, the old wireless handhelds with aironet 350 Wireless card stopped associating with the access points. I have done some troubleshooting and found that once you configure multiple SSIDs and VLANs these handhelds stop associating correctly with the access points.

The newer handhelds(Same model) have different wireless cards 802.11g and they associated and authenticate correctly.

Both old and newly manufactured handhelds have:

Same windows CE 5.0 version

Same Wireless Client which is Funcky Odessy Client

Same firmware

and latest drivers.

I have done some debugging and found that the old wireless handhelds with aironet 350 802.11b cards are failing to associate due to the below output:

?Jun 7 18:31:17.352: dot11_mgr_sm_run_machine: Executing Action(GTK_MSG2_WAIT,TIMEOUT) for 000f.f84f.161e

Jun 7 18:31:17.353: dot11_mgr_sm_handshake_fail: Handshake failure for 000f.f84f.161e

Jun 7 19:31:17.353 UTC: %DOT11-7-AUTH_FAILED: Station 000f.f84f.161e Authentication failed?

I have done a lot of researches on Cisco Website but didn't find any explanation for the above error message.

I appreciate if somebody can help,

Regards,

4 Replies 4

owensm
Level 1
Level 1

What combo of authentication methods are configured on the 350 cards,wpa/tkip or wpa2/aes? I've had sucessin the pass with 350 cards using wpa/tkip. Their appears to be a limitation on the chipset of the 350 cards to support the higher encryption. Hope it works.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply however I am using WPA/TKIP.

Regards,

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

Are the access points 802.11g? If so, do you have any of the speeds above 11 meg set for basic? If appears the that there is a settings mismatch somewhere. The client cannot properly handshake.

The VLAN's and SSID's should not cause any trouble as your client will just be concerned with one single SSID, and the AP handles the SSID to VLAN mapping.

Can you post the AP config?

Seth Rosenthal, CWNE #55

Hello,

The access points are 802.11 b and g. If you try from a laptop using 802.11b card it authenticates successfuly.

On Cisco website they advise that in order to have 802.11b and G connecting to the same access point you should set the speeds all to enabled and I have done that without any luck.

I opened a case with Cisco and they confirmed that it can be a bug however they won't be able to support it because we have installed a Windows CE 4.0 driver on a Windows CE 5.0 which may cause this issue with multiple SSIDs/VLANs.

I agree that the multiple VLANs and SSIDs should not cause any issue with the client but why when using single SSID no VLAN everything works without modifying the speeds?

I have attached the AP Config anyways,

Let me know if you any ideas,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card