Views
Helpful
Replies

2851 Router VLAN's on BVI?

gregsmales
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to implement VLAN's on a 2851 using the two Gig Ethernet ports whilst maintaining redundancy between both ports (ie BVI)?

I realise you can create subinterfaces on an individual port basis, however that won't provide redundancy across both built-in ports.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the interfaces, put no ip address and a bridge-group. On the BVI, IP address. Globally, bridge irb and route ip. You can do that also at subinterface level. One interface will go "blocked" by STP.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Yes, however can you create subinterfaces on BVI's? My understanding was that you couldn't do this

No you will create the subinterfaces on the physical interfaces and defined the desired VLAN with "encapsulation dot1q ". After that you configure said subinterface in a bridge-group and said bridge-group will communicate with a BVI interface numbered like the bridge-group, that you need to configure as well. So you will have that many BVI interfaces as many subinterfaces, and as many bridge-groups.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Ok, thanks for your help. That sounds like the solution to me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card