Helpful
Replies

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

javarapuser
Level 1
Level 1

Exactly what does this do?

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

Can someone point me to the link that would have the best documentation on these cisco commands.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The 'ip pim sparse-dense mode' command enables PIM to operate in sparse or dense mode, depending on the multicast group. When you enable sparse-dense mode, the interface is treated as dense mode if the multicast group is in dense mode. If the group is in sparse mode, the interface is treated in sparse mode. You must have a rendezvous point (RP) if the interface is in sparse-dense mode and you want to treat the group as a sparse group.

The RP could be configured:

- manually (ip pim rp-address)

- dinamically with AutoRP (Cisco solution, it works in sparse-dense mode, or in sparse-mode with 'autorp listener' feature)

- dinamically with BSR code (standard, it works in sparse mode)

for more informations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6b63.shtml

HTH

Andrea

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The 'ip pim sparse-dense mode' command enables PIM to operate in sparse or dense mode, depending on the multicast group. When you enable sparse-dense mode, the interface is treated as dense mode if the multicast group is in dense mode. If the group is in sparse mode, the interface is treated in sparse mode. You must have a rendezvous point (RP) if the interface is in sparse-dense mode and you want to treat the group as a sparse group.

The RP could be configured:

- manually (ip pim rp-address)

- dinamically with AutoRP (Cisco solution, it works in sparse-dense mode, or in sparse-mode with 'autorp listener' feature)

- dinamically with BSR code (standard, it works in sparse mode)

for more informations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6b63.shtml

HTH

Andrea

Hi ,

My question regarding Pim sparse-dense mode is , when an RP configuration is not available for a particular group, it would be using pim dense-mode. What if an RP is configured for that particular group when there is a multicast route available(through dense-mode) ,Is the route calculation done again using Sparse mode?

Also if a particular group is configured with RP and route is calculated using Sparse mode , what if the RP address is deleted , should the switch  revert back to dense mode states ?

Thanks & Regards,

Hi Mohan,

If the mroute is already populated through a dense mode and new RP is configured, there is no change made to the existing mroute until it times out. Any dense group traffic will flow through dense mroute, no convergence will occur unless mroute is cleared.

Rgds,

hi,

I have a problems for see the streeming in a tv that not connect in same network with server.I have a server tangram that send the streeming.It's directly connect with a switch catalyste 4500 that i configure a igmp server in vlan 10.I have a other batiment that have a other vlan for IPTV.In this batiments i can't see the streming.But in de same vlan with server i can see the streming.

Configuration in switch 4500:

ip igmp snooping querier
ip igmp snooping VLAN 10

Configuration in switch 2960 :

ip igmp snooping
ip igmp snooping querier
ip igmp snooping VLAN 100

I have i switch 4500 that the server IPTV is directly connected so i have the switch 2960-s that the the final equipement client is directly connectes.For information, la communication betwween the 4500 and 2960 go throught a switch 6509 and 3750.Can you please give me the configuration exact in each equipements.

I want to inform you that i want the brodcast for IPTV technologies.

Thank you.

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply. From some materials, I was able to understand that Sparse-dense mode is mainly used with Auto-RP, wherein all the groups are considered DM at first, and when the RP is know in all routers, it converges for Sparse Mode.

My question here is, how does sparse-dense mode behave in case of dynamic RP configuration with BSR routers.

There will be a time delay in the network before the RP is spread across all the routers from the BSR. To be exact some routers will have RP configuration , and some may not have. How will this scenario span out ? some routers may act as SM and some as DM for a specific group. Wouldnt this lead to misbehaviour in the network ?

Thanks & Regards, 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card