cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP specific route reachability

r-tyrell
Level 1
Level 1

We are bringing up a new non-trunking core. Our current core has a 10.0.0.0/16 network management VLAN. The new core has a 10.0.20.0/24 network management VLAN. With the current setup I am unable to reach the /24 from the /16 VLAN. I believe this is due to the fact that EIGRP sees the /24 belonging to the /16 VLAN. I can reach the /24 from a server if I add a static route on the server itself. I have included an attachment that hopefully explains the setup. It is hard to include all the information so please let me know if you need more info. Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is not an EIGRP problem since the default gateway 10.0.0.1 knows how to get to 10.0.20.0/24

The problem is with the hosts in 10.0.0.0/16 not using the default gateway for 10.0.20.0/24 since ,as you stated, the route is local - so unless you change the subnets, you will have to manually input static routes on each host.

anandramapathy
Level 3
Level 3

How difficult will it be for you to change the subnet mask for the int vlan 910 to a /24 & all machines associated with this ?

EIGRP is certainly able to do this. It will track the different prefix lengths and both subnets should be in the routing table. I believe that the issue is that the server is sending an ARP request for the destination address of 10.0.20.x instead of forwarding to the default gateway. I believe that if you were to enable proxy arp that this network would work. As it is the server believes that 10.0.20.x is within the local subnet of 10.0/16 and so it arps for the address directly instead of sending it to the default gateway. If proxy arp were turned on I believe that the gateway would respond to the ARP request and the packet could be forwarded.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

You guys rock! I turned on ip proxy-arp for the 910 VLAN and now I can successfully reach the 920. Thanks you!!

-Rick

Rick

I am glad that our discussion was able to help you resolve your problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply. So by changing the 910 to /24 that should solve my problem? It would be somewhat painful to change all of our 910 devices to the /24 but if that is what we have to do. I wasn't sure if there were some fancy tricks with EIGRP that could produce a workaround.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card