cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Upgrade 4.0(3) to 4.2(1) issue

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

I am following the Unity Reconfiguration and upgrade guide. I didn't see anything about needed to update the license if I am running 4.0(3), so I am not certain if I need to do so either. I don't care if the current information is lost either since it is being used for a new cluster and all current information will be wiped anyway.

I also have Unity Connection software, and was wondering what I need to do if I want to upgrade to that instead of 4.2 as far as licenses, do I need new licenses, or is my current Unity license transferable?

EDIT: I was looking on the wrong CD, found Crystal Reports. The rest above though I wuld still like input on. Thanks

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Todd,

The Licenses for Unity for 4.x would only need to be changed if it is installed on a new box;

Cisco Unity 4.x licenses are associated with the MAC address on the network interface card (NIC). Get updated license files that reference the MAC address of the NIC in the new server.

For information on getting updated license files, refer to White Paper: Licensing for Cisco Unity (All Versions) at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/licenses.htm.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a85.html

For Unity Connection there is an upgrade path from Unity that does require a new License. Have a look;

Obtaining Cisco Unity Connection License Files

For the migration to Cisco Unity Connection, you obtain license files by sending an e-mail request. Cisco e-mails the license files. The e-mail from Cisco contains instructions on how to save and store the files. Later in the migration process, the Cisco Unity Connection Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide refers you to the Cisco Unity Connection Installation Guide, which provides instructions on installing the license files.

The following information is required during registration:

The MAC address (physical address) for the network interface card (NIC) in the Cisco Unity server.

The MAC address for the NIC in the Cisco Unity Connection server.

The product authorization key (PAK), which appears on the back of the Cisco Unity Connection Application Software Media kit.

To Register and Obtain the License Files

Step 1 Send an e-mail requesting a license file for the migration to:

connectionmigration@external.cisco.com

Include the following information:

The MAC address for the NIC in the Cisco Unity server.

The MAC address for the NIC in the Cisco Unity Connection server.

The PAK from the Cisco Unity Connection Application Software Media kit.

Step 2 When you receive a reply from licensing@cisco.com, follow the instructions in the e-mail.

If there are questions on your request or if we need to confirm that you accept that you will lose features, we will send a query before we send the license files.

If the license files are lost, it can take up to one business day to get another copy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do not get the licensing files within a day or if you need another copy of the licensing file, forward to licensing@cisco.com the e-mail that you sent to connectionmigration@external.cisco.com.

From this excellent doc;

Migrating from Cisco Unity 4.0(5) or Later to the Shipping Version of Cisco Unity Connection

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a008055fe9e.html#wp1058678

Hope this helps!

Rob

That is what I thought for the license. We haven't received the new hardware and software yet for UC, so we had to dig out our old lab Unity and use that to get the new cluster up. It is going to run on CCM 5.1 which is why I want to get it updated. So far looks like I have the upgrade working after I located the missing disk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: