cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1510 antennas

nkariyawasam
Level 1
Level 1

In the 1510 installation guide I have seeen that the antenna has been directly mounted on the device.

Is there any option to extend the AP to antenna connection up to 25 m using additional cable ? If so, what is the Cisco cable type available ?

5 Replies 5

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You can use cable with N style connectors

Be sure to take in consideration the power loss for cable length

For example: we use the following on our RAPs

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=457901&eventPage=1

Here is a link to Tessco:http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=412&subgroupId=92&mfgid=TRW

Here is a link to Cisco's antenna page

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

Hi ericgarnel,

Many thanks for the detailed response.

In Cisco antenns page, only AIR-ANT5175V-N ( 5 GHz) and AIR-ANT2455V-N ( 2.4 GHz) are listed as supported antennas for 1510. Also Cisco offers extension cables with RP-TNC type connector only.

Antennas for 1400 series such as AIR-ANT58G9VOA-N supports long distance that antennas for 1510 AP.

Q1. Can we use the antennas meant for 1400 series with 1510 as well ?

Q2. As per your knowledge, does Cisco offers antenna extension cables with N Type connectors ?

Tks in advance,

The antenna is basically a passive device that is calibrated for the intended frequency and is tuned to "focus" the rf into a certain pattern depending on intent and design.

If the antenna is the correct frequency and has the proper connectors, in this case, N - then it "should" work.

I am not as familiar with the 1400s as the 1510 radios,so I am not sure.

I did not see any lmr cables with N connectors on Cisco's antenna page. There are rp-tnc to N adaptors available through outside vendors though.

On a side note, the Cisco antennas are tested & certified by Cisco to work with their radios. There are several 3rd party antennas that have almost identical properties for much less $$, but in some cases, such as identifying the antenna type in WCS and for location purposes, it makes a difference with the Cisco antennas. In other cases such as an outdoor mesh in a congested environment like a downtown area, you may need to think outside the box and use 3rd party antennas that can provide for the rf needs of the mesh.

You have to get creative with mesh setups. Factors such as the elements, lightening suppression, power sources, obstructions, etc. play a much larger factor in your design

You risk losing FCC certification by not using the antennas that were tested and certified with the radio.

What you don't need is a competitor using this against you- it's not like the radios are hidden out there on those poles. I have seen some interesting contraptions on power poles, like Strix Mesh radios with full sized panel sectors on them.

Using antennae that have the same specification of those certified for use on a particular Access Point is allowed by the FCC. You definitely would want to insure that you are not exceeding maximum EIRP. I have used several different antennae in deployments to insure proper coverage and cell overlap. When deploying MESH APs it is always good practice to have a handful of antennae that function differently (high gain omni, directional, semi-directional, etc.)in the truck so as not to have to do another truck roll. Detailed specifications are on the Cisco website for maximum EIRP output and what antennae are approved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card