Replies

911 and interdigit time out issue

D0nprintup_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following route patterns:

[2-9]XXXXXX route Gateway 1

911 route gateway 1

When people dial 911 it works but they believe its not. After 911 is pressed there is dead air for about 15 secs.

I know this is the interdigit timeout and then after the 15 secs it sends it to the gateway.

Is there a way I can change my dial pattern to send 911 as soon as its pressed without lowering the interdigit timeout?

6 Replies 6

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

Under the Route Pattern for 911, check "Urgent Priority". Once this is done, the call should be setup the moment the users dial 911. The only consideration for this to to ensure that users dont hit 911 (1 twice) by error. As once the urgent priority is checked, CM would not wait for any more digits for the 911 Route Pattern.

You will have to ensure that the users are educated to be careful of this, such that you dont end up with frequent false 911 calls. I've seen this with a few customers and they have to get rid of Urgent Priority and reduce the Interdigit timeout.

Ok thanks, Maybe Ill just lower the timeout to 5 secs.

We are installing a E911 server, I think this will rectify the problem once that is installed. I beleive with the server we will have a RP for 911 and it will send it as soon as its dialed.

Thanks for the information. I didnt know about the urgent thing.

Lowering interdigit timeout has the downside that users trying to dial a number, forgets what he wants to dial, while trying to look that up, if 5 seconds elapses then he will get a fast busy.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I just found that out the hard way.

Which ever route you go, you have something that you have to trade off. I would also recommend to put banners at key places to inform users, not to hangup when they call 911 accidentally and just tell the 911 agent that it was a false call. Or else only use 9.911 pattern and make sure you have informative banners every where telling that. Employees may know that they can dial 9.911 because they are used to dialing a trunk access code. A guest who is in the building, wants to call 911 may not know about trunk access code, when an emergency happens and he/she is in panic mode

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

understood

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: