PRI + PVDM modems - set IP destination based on DNIS

spyoung
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following setup:

2811 router

PVDM2-12DM modem module on motherboard

NM-1CE1T1-PRI PRI card

The PRI has a range of numbers assigned to it, but I need to be able to direct dial-in traffic to specific backend IP addresses, based on the number the user dials in to reach the router (the DNIS). I am familiar with the autocommand function used in line configs and have used it before with asynch attached modems to trigger telnet sessions, but never with PRI. Is it possible?

Can anyone provide some links to documetnation or advice on how to set this up?

thanks very much.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can do that. There are various option so that you can assign IP address from a specific pool based on the number called.

Once you have assigned the number, you can set any policy for Ip traffic, using ACL, PBR, etc.

See: http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800b4c51.shtml

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the link, its a great help! However I am unable to configure a modem-pool. In global config mode "modem-pool" is an unrecognised command. There is no problem with the modems as the router recognises the PVDM2 modem bank when I show diagnostics.

When issuing 'sh line' I can also see the 12 modem lines 0/322 - 0/333. They also show up automatically as 12 individual asynch interfaces in the config.

Im running IOS 12.4(9)T4

Could it be there is alternative config required for these types of modems?

Thanks again,

I found a comment in the "ask the expert" session on dial. The Cisco CCIE stated that the modem-pool feature is only available on access servers (AS5xxx series routers).

That explains why the 2811 I have doesnt recognise the 'modem-pool' command.

I think the only way to achieve what I need is to use external modems over an asynch connection, each connected to a POTS line. That way I can control each modem over a dedicaetd line?

Thanks,

Ok, I didn't knew modem-pool is supported only on as5x00.

You can configure username and password with different autocommands for each user and that should make so you can decide what they do based on who they are, rather the called number.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does