cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 IOS upgrade problem loading image to flash

bruce.porter
Level 1
Level 1

When loading the image to flash I get the error: "%Error ELF section lseek slavedisk0:/s222-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin (Operation not allowed on read-only file)"

I can move the original image from slot0: into slavedisk0: but I can't load any images into the flash card from the tftp server. I am currently running c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-13.E3.bin on a sup2 mfsc2.

The first part of the file goes into the flash and it shows as being rw, but that is as far as it goes before erroring out:

Directory of slavedisk0:/

1 -rw- 6588 Jun 12 2007 15:27:58 s222-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin

64552960 bytes total (64552960 bytes free)

5 Replies 5

npereira
Level 1
Level 1

you may be running out of available space on the flash0.

I havent done this yet, but from what I read (see link bellow), you need to delete the BIN on the slavesup-bootdisk then copy the NEW BIN to it. Then you copy the BIN from slavesup-bootdisk to the sup-bootdisk and execute the commande to change the boot loader to that new image.

have a read to the bellow link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807714cb.shtml#upgrade

Thanks for the link. I read it and the associated links.

I actually formatted the new 64MB flash (bootdisk) and I could put files from the router itself into the card then but files from the tftp server had the read only error.

I am running off a single image on the bootflash and slavesup-bootflash, running Native IOS (both the MSFCII and SupII running native). The bootvariable points towards the native IOS on the bootflashes.

SITSF-Central-Cat#sh boot

BOOT variable = sup-bootflash:,1;sup-bootflash:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-19.E1.bin

I learned that, with SUPII and MSFCII, I should run RPR+ redundency for a 30 second fail over, as I was. With newer cards I could get a 0-3 second fail over.

I am beginning to have doubts about the type of flash card I am using. It is a SMART Modular Technologies 64MB Flash ATA Card. I just installed the cards for this upgrade.

I could probably load the image into bootflash: (MSFC card) or sup-bootflash: but these are only 32 MB ea. This image needs a 64MB space, ie disk0: flash.

Final note: I can upload the IOS file currently on my 6513 to the tftp server and then download it to the slavedisk0: I just can't download any IOS images from the Cisco software center and then tftp them into the slavedisk0:

I will put in a TAC tomorrow and reply with the answer.

Have you checked to make sure your TFTP allows uploads and downloads? I know that from the Solarwinds TFTP, you need to enable uploads as by default it only allows downloads.

Yup. I can download other files just fine. I am using Solar Wind TFTP server. I am putting in a TAC now. thx

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card