cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 IOS upgrade problem loading image to flash

bruce.porter
Level 1
Level 1

When loading the image to flash I get the error: "%Error ELF section lseek slavedisk0:/s222-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin (Operation not allowed on read-only file)"

I can move the original image from slot0: into slavedisk0: but I can't load any images into the flash card from the tftp server. I am currently running c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-13.E3.bin on a sup2 mfsc2.

The first part of the file goes into the flash and it shows as being rw, but that is as far as it goes before erroring out:

Directory of slavedisk0:/

1 -rw- 6588 Jun 12 2007 15:27:58 s222-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin

64552960 bytes total (64552960 bytes free)

5 Replies 5

npereira
Level 1
Level 1

you may be running out of available space on the flash0.

I havent done this yet, but from what I read (see link bellow), you need to delete the BIN on the slavesup-bootdisk then copy the NEW BIN to it. Then you copy the BIN from slavesup-bootdisk to the sup-bootdisk and execute the commande to change the boot loader to that new image.

have a read to the bellow link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807714cb.shtml#upgrade

Thanks for the link. I read it and the associated links.

I actually formatted the new 64MB flash (bootdisk) and I could put files from the router itself into the card then but files from the tftp server had the read only error.

I am running off a single image on the bootflash and slavesup-bootflash, running Native IOS (both the MSFCII and SupII running native). The bootvariable points towards the native IOS on the bootflashes.

SITSF-Central-Cat#sh boot

BOOT variable = sup-bootflash:,1;sup-bootflash:c6sup22-psv-mz.121-19.E1.bin

I learned that, with SUPII and MSFCII, I should run RPR+ redundency for a 30 second fail over, as I was. With newer cards I could get a 0-3 second fail over.

I am beginning to have doubts about the type of flash card I am using. It is a SMART Modular Technologies 64MB Flash ATA Card. I just installed the cards for this upgrade.

I could probably load the image into bootflash: (MSFC card) or sup-bootflash: but these are only 32 MB ea. This image needs a 64MB space, ie disk0: flash.

Final note: I can upload the IOS file currently on my 6513 to the tftp server and then download it to the slavedisk0: I just can't download any IOS images from the Cisco software center and then tftp them into the slavedisk0:

I will put in a TAC tomorrow and reply with the answer.

Have you checked to make sure your TFTP allows uploads and downloads? I know that from the Solarwinds TFTP, you need to enable uploads as by default it only allows downloads.

Yup. I can download other files just fine. I am using Solar Wind TFTP server. I am putting in a TAC now. thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card