cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509, GRE & FWSM

Mel Popple
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to confirm the following but can't seem to find the 2 answers that I need. Can anyone help.

We will be using GRE tunnels from remote sites that terminate on 6509 switches in the primary site to get multicast across a providers cloud.

I know that both the 7204 & 6509 that we are using can support GRE tunnelling and have it in place on a test network.

The 2 Questions

1. Does the 6509 with FWSM still support GRE tunnels (I know pix don't)?

2. Can the FWSM inspect packets arriving on the tunnel interface and leaving out a physically routed port or even a vlan interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Are you askin if the FWSM supports GRE or the 6500 with a FWSM in it. If the second then yes the 6500 will still support a GRE tunnel.

Could you be a bit more specific in question 2. The FWSM deals with vlan interfaces and bridge groups. You could terminate the GRE tunnel onto a router in a DMZ and then inspect the traffic.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Are you askin if the FWSM supports GRE or the 6500 with a FWSM in it. If the second then yes the 6500 will still support a GRE tunnel.

Could you be a bit more specific in question 2. The FWSM deals with vlan interfaces and bridge groups. You could terminate the GRE tunnel onto a router in a DMZ and then inspect the traffic.

HTH

Jon

Sorry about the delay in response.

I think you answered both questions for me. It would be preferrable to terminate the tunnels on an external router that attaches to the 6500 and then inspect the traffic as it pass through the switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card