I need to add a 4 port FE cards to both my primary and failover PIX 515E's and I need to do it with as little down time as possible. Can I bring down the failover PIX first and add the card to it and then connect everything back up and have the primary failover to the secondary and repeat the process then connect everything back up and fail it back over. Is this feasible?
Steps involved will be similar to those required in upgrading the firewalls in failover:
Assuming Primary is running as Active PIX-
1) Failover to Secondary, making Secondary PIX Active.
2) Shutdown the Primary, and disconnect the cables.
3) Install FE card in Primary box.
4) Shutdown Secondary PIX and disconnect all cables.
5) Reconnect Primary PIX and boot it up.
%%Downtime will be over as soon as Primary is back up%%
6) Install FE card in Secondary box.
7) Reconnect Secondary PIX into the network.
Hope this helps.