cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager question

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

Whaere does Campus Manager get it's device list from?

I am seeing 29 devices, there should be 32.

Is there any way to change this device list?

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Campus Manager pulls the device list from DCR. Campus will only manage SNMP reachable devices that are in DCR and not filtered out. So check your SNMP credentials for these missing devices in DCR, and make sure that the CiscoWorks server has SNMP connectivity to them. Then check Campus Manager > Admin > Campus Data Collection > Data Collection Filters to make sure they are not filtered out.

Finally, if you still cannot get Campus to manage them, enable core and corex debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Campus Data Collection > Debugging Options, run a new Campus Data Collection, and check the ani.log for errors pertaining to your missing devices.

Thanks j,

I thought that is where Capus Manager was getting the list from past questions.

Will it be almost instantanious, or will some poll have to be done before they show up in Campus Manager (not doing discovery).

Thanks

Once a device is added to DCR, you will need to run Campus Data Collection before it will show up on the Topology Map.

Hi Jclarke,

I am facing a very similar issue in Campus Manager. I have Cisco LMS 2.51 on sun. The issue is that initially Discovery shows 24 devices that includes 2, 3750-12G used as Distribution and the Data collection also happens for 24 devices. The L2 topology maps and all are fine. Now when I switch off one Distribution switch, and rediscover manually, the Discovery shows one device as unreachable and same reflects in topology map as red icon. After sometime Discovery some 3-4 devices as unreachable though the are reachable thru alternate paths, which also reflects in Topology maps.

When Data collection is run, it deletes that partocular device and shows up only 23 devices while in Discovery there are still 24. Even after that Distribution switch is turned on, Disocovery shows up well with all devices reachable but DCR is not able to add that device again in the device list and displays 23 devices only. Can you help me to figure out -

1. Why DCR is deleting the device when it is down and re-adds when it comes live again.

2. why shld more than one device be shown unreachable in Discover as the disoccovery maps already shows the neighbors etc and rest of switches are accessible thru alternate links.

Assuming it to be the issue of CDP propagation delay, I have added all the devices in Seed Devices which are connected to more that one switch.

I have reint the database and then re-installed the LMS but issue is same.

Pls suggets.

Regards,

Correction-

1. Why DCR is deleting the device when it is down and CAN NOT re-add when it comes live again.

1. DCR should not be deleting the devices. They may disappear from the map, but they should still be in DCR. You should double-check to see that this is the case.

2. Campus Manager uses straight SNMP (IPv4 UDP) to query these devices. When the one distribution switch goes down, SNMP connectivity to these other devices must be broken.

Note: Campus Manager is NOT a fault management application, and you should not rely on it as such. It's primary purpose is for network documentation.

Hi Jclarke,

Thanks for your email.

1> I have checked it multiple times that 'Data Collection' shows 23 devices even when 'Device Discovery' has 24 devices. Also I observed by 'debug snmp packets' on that missing switch, it replies to the request from CWLMS. strange but CWLMS is not able to process it to display.

2> About the pt-2 you have explained "When the one distribution switch goes down, SNMP connectivity to these other devices must be broken", CWLMS also uses CDP and IP then why it is not able to reflect the topology maps and moreover only one connectivity of these respective switches is broken, they are still reachable through other link. But in this case even after the subsequent 'Device Discovery' and 'Data collection' cycles, some access switches are shown to be down unless the very same Distribution is made up again.

Pls suggest.

1. Looking at Discovery numbers are not the same as checking to see if the device is in DCR. Check under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management. The device should still be found there.

2. Campus is not a fault management application, and you should not be using it as such. I can't tell you why a device is not reachable when the distribution switch goes down other than to say that those switches must no longer be SNMP reachable from the CiscoWorks server (maybe you redundant paths are not working). You can check this using Management Station to Device or SNMP Walk in Device Center.

Hi Jclarke,

1. I checked up at "under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management", the device is present in CS@LMS but not in Campus@LMS.

Also in Network Discrepancies, there was a error indication "duplicate sysname" of two devices one of them is the same missing device. It is asking to change the "SYSNAME". Can you please suggest how to change that?? May be this solves my problem.

Thanks

Then the device is still in DCR. This is what I thought.

Yes, all devices in LMS must have a unique sysName. The easiest way to enforce thsi is to make sure every device has a unique hostname. On an IOS device, just change the hostname in config mode. For example:

hostname core-router-1

Hi, I have changed the hostnames of both switches but still getting duplicate sysname error. I have reinitialised the databases as well. Pl suggest.

Regds

Jclarke,

Just fyi I have opened a TAC case and the case has reached DE. I am still wtg for solution.

REgards,