cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding DHCP to a 1601 router

dvinnedge
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an older 1601 router which I would like to add DHCP to it. The ROM version is 12.0(3)T. I don't even have the option to create a named DHCP pool. Do I need a firmware upgrade or is there a feature set that may need to be installed in order to have this functionality? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David

The additional information that you have provided shows that the router is running 12.0(14) which is main line code. The information in the original post only talked about 12.0(3)T which is T train code. I checked in the Feature Navigator and one of the differences between 12.0 main line and 12.0T is that the T train added support for DHCP server which the main line code does not have.

So the explanation is that the code on your 1601 does not have support for DHCP. If you upgrade the code to something more recent you should get support for DHCP. But in current code you do not have it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Please use Cisco Feature Navigator to find an IOS that support "DHCP Server" on you router:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

I am a bit surprised. I checked in the Feature Navigator on the Cisco site and it indicates that the 1601 running 12.0(3)T does support DHCP server. Perhaps if you post the output of show version (and perhaps the output of show flash) we can see exactly what you are running and know what suggestions to make.

Just to check: what command were you using to create the DHCP pool?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm no cisco guru, but I did the same thing and figured I must be missing something... Here's the show version output:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-Y-M), Version 12.0(14), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 31-Oct-00 16:18 by linda

Image text-base: 0x02005000, data-base: 0x0245EEAC

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: 1600 Software (C1600-RBOOT-R), Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1

uptime is 5 weeks, 16 hours, 4 minutes

System restarted by power-on

System image file is "flash:c1600-y-mz.120-14"

cisco 1601 (68360) processor (revision C) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 26594623, with hardware revision 00000005

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

System/IO memory with parity disabled

8192K bytes of DRAM onboard

System running from RAM

7K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

4096K bytes of processor board PCMCIA flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

The command I was trying to use to create the DHCP pool was pretty straight-forward. From the (config) prompt:

ip dhcp pool

The only sub-command I have on this router for IP DHCP is as follows:

Router(config)#ip dhcp ?

Hostname or A.B.C.D IP address or Name of DHCP server

Something's missing, but I don't know what. I inheireted this router so I don't know what particular feature sets are on it or not. It's six or seven years old.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

David

The additional information that you have provided shows that the router is running 12.0(14) which is main line code. The information in the original post only talked about 12.0(3)T which is T train code. I checked in the Feature Navigator and one of the differences between 12.0 main line and 12.0T is that the T train added support for DHCP server which the main line code does not have.

So the explanation is that the code on your 1601 does not have support for DHCP. If you upgrade the code to something more recent you should get support for DHCP. But in current code you do not have it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Makes sense. Looks like I need to upgrade the router code. I appreciate your help. Thank you Rick

David

I am glad that we were able to resolve your issue. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your issue was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can be sure that they will read a solution to the issue. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card