Views
Helpful
Replies

PC's and trunk ports

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If I have a trunk port on 3560 switch and I plug in a PC will that PC automatically join the native vlan? or will there be a problem.

Thanks

Dan

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

IMHO, it won't operate as the PC won't be able to up the trunk in the first place.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

I just connected two pc's together each in a trunk port and they can ping each other. I believe they just use the native vlan for the trunk port.

Regards

Dan

Hi

U r right the PC will be in the native vlan.

Thanks

Mahmood

"I believe they just use the native vlan for the trunk port. "

Correct.

soin-kamal
Level 1
Level 1

it will automatically a member of native VLAN No-1....

if that port is not defined as a trunk port...

If you are plugging the PC in port 1,it should not be trunked...

also allow trunk to forward the native VLANS.

Hi,

Ok, after through thinking (and sorry for my fast wild guess before), since the Native VLAN frames will travel without being encapsulated or tagged accordingly the native VLAN is the VLAN to which the port will belong to if that link becomes non-trunk and thus i guess that the PC will be able to communicate via it, but the idea is that this is not a common practice scenario and might introduce problems since all tagged and untagged frames are flooded on this port, which might cause problems (I've tested it and the interface has counted CRCs).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: