Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Planning

sarancheck
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

I need to plan a network for 3lakhs customers . What is the best IP range ?

1.Can i have more subnets & less hosts persubnet

2.Can i have more hosts & less subnets

3.is 172.16 series is ok

4.or should i go for 10.x.x.x series

5. The requirement may also grow over period of time.

6.My DHCP will be run by windows 2003 server or SUSE Linux enterprise server .

I would appreciate help in this connection.

3 Replies 3

cmadiam82
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

it all depends on how big your network. If you want to go for more hosts with less subnets, you must stick to 10.x.x.x. just plan it with future in mind.

hope this helps

a.shaukat
Level 1
Level 1

3 lakh customers is 300,000 customers.. i doubt that ul have them in once locations or under one subnet..

to accomodate such users and the chances for this number to grow... then u should definately go for 10.x.x.x range..

itll give u plenty of room to aplay around..

my suggestions plan your network ahead..

make full use subnets. depending on how well you subnet your network .. u can have more subnets for leww number of users and larger subnets to accomodate large number of users..

magic formula 2^n-2 :-)

we subnetted using 172.16.x.x range to accomodate 4000 users. and subnetted to 20 bit and 28 and 30 bit level. to accomodate branches , net devices as well as site to site links..

all converges to one network ID 172.16.0.1

so plan it out like a tree fashion.

when u do that try to get a hold of a CCIE and have it vatted.

a.shaukat's spot on. There are several other things you'll want to consider (after all this IS a network management topic) that are not focused on the end hosts:

1.Infrastructure IP requirements- You'll want to design a range of /30's for your point to point links, a range for your network devices (in band or out of band managed).

2. IP address management / name resolution. Not all of the devices on the network will understand DHCP, but people will insist on putting them on the network and being able to resolve what ever silly name they come up for them. You'll need DNS at the minimum to keep up with that.

3. Routing protocols- how much time and resiliancy do you want to spend maintaining it ? RFC compliant or prorietary ? Mixed or monolithic vendor deployment ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: