Views
Helpful
Replies

7970 backlight

donjohnson911
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Decided to recreate this thread because the other one was quite unclear and not very helpful.

I got a 7970 here and I just powered it up. At first I thought there was no activity on the screen, but now I can see that stuff is being displayed it's just next to impossible to read because the backlight is off, or turned all the way down (if the lowest setting makes it appear to be off).

It's so dark that I can see that there is activity but I can't make out any words.

Can anyone give me the button combination to turn up the backlight? Or how to enable it if it is simply disabled for whatever reason.

Is it possible that the backlight may have burnt out? Any way to replace that?

The device is being by a 568B PoE injector, but it operates at 15.4 watts which I heard was enough to get the screen to illuminate at least enough to see.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can adjust the brightness by pressing Settings -> User Preferences -> Brightness.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

After reviewing a tutorial for the phone I realized the combination is Settings > 1 > 4 and you're at the Brightness screen. When I look carefully I can slightly make out a slider at the bottom so I've been pretty sure that I was at the right location.

Though after pressing the second softkey (which I read was 'up') or pressing the volume up button it doesn't get any brighter. I cannot make out the movement of a little bar on the slider either.

I really hope this is an issue related to the light being off or something instead of being broken. If it is broken do I have any options?

Have you tried using a power brick to power the phone or a different power injector just to rule out a power problem? If this doesn't work, I would recommend opeing a TAC case if you have support on the phone.

Brandon

Unfortunately I don't have a power brick, I didn't spend the money on one because from what I saw it would indeed work on PoE.

I also got the phone used so I don't have a TAC support plan. This is actually extremely aggrivating and I'm not really all that excited about having to ship it back, or wait for a brick to come.

Any chance you might know if instead of ordering a brick I can get one of those radio shack style universal power adapter with the 240v 15.4 watt option

The 7970 will operate using only PoE. The problem could also be your power injector. Try a different one if you have one or try plugging another phone into your current injector to see if it powers up properly. Not sure on the radio shack adapter.

Brandon

Problem is the other phones around here are 7960's and they don't have 802.3af support. I have 1 7970 and 1 injector for it.

I think I'm just going to go out and see if I can get a universal one with the exact specifications for the phone, because at this point I'm just getting upset.

Hi,

in the leading search engine, enter "compatible pwr-cube". Click the first link, that is a reputable online store. The price is reasonable and it comes with warranty.

New question. I seem to have found the sweet spot to be able to view whats on the screen while the backlight is still inactive.

One new thing I saw that concerned me was the fact that in the brightness setting I can move the slider up and down but it makes no difference.. (tho i can only move the slider up to about 1/3 of the way up before it stops in its tracks). This worried me, because the slider is able to move that far and not stuck on 0 could that indicate that the phone thinks it has the required power? Or is this just me panicing.

Either way I have a PWR-CUBE 3 on the way and I'm excited to try it. Was wondering what you guys thought of that though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: