cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch creating vlans

rmmbminola
Level 1
Level 1

hello floks i have a 2950 with ios 12.1 (6) when i try to create a vlan i need cant do it from the config mode according to my cisco book that is how i create vlans and name them but i can only do it from the previlage mode not from the config t mode any reason.

thanks for you help in advanced.

13 Replies 13

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is really old code and probably doesn't support global config. You will have to go into the vlan database to configure your vlans.

At the enable prompt type "vlan database" and you go into vlan config mode , think the syntax is just "vlan XX state active " and this will create the vlan . It should up with the "show vlan " command after this . Easier would be to upgrade that ancient code to 12.1.22ea10 and that will support global config for the vlans.

hey thanks for the info tring to copy flash to tftp but i replies error opnening flash no such file any help i have copied flashes before no 1900 switches before is there a diff way on a 2950.

thanks

What are you trying to do ? If you are trying to save the current image it would be copy flash: tftp: then hit the enter key and should prompt you through . The 2950 only has enough flash to have 1 image in at a time so you will have to delete the old image before trying to install the new , make sure not to interupt power while downloading new image into flash.

i am tring to copy the flash to tftp server just in case i need it, and i am writing the name of the old flash but it says no such file. then i want to copy the new flash. still cant seam to get it.

Hi ,

Pl paste the show flash output and are u able to ping to PC in which tftp server is loaded from the switch.

Thanks,

Satish

this is the out put of sh flash. thanks

2 drwx 10240 Mar 01 1993 00:06:32 html

4 -rwx 1750311 Mar 01 1993 00:04:29 c2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.3.WC.1.bin

5 -rwx 98838 Mar 01 1993 00:05:22 c2900XL-hdiag-mz.SA6

165 -rwx 644 Mar 01 1993 01:04:28 vlan.dat

166 ---x 358 Jan 01 1970 00:00:14 env_vars

168 -rwx 1338 Mar 01 1993 00:02:40 config.text

3612672 bytes total (474624 bytes free)

switch2924A#

Hi ,

r u trying to take back of c2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.3.WC.1.bin image..

use the following command..

copy flash: tftp

have you established connectivity b/n tftp server and switch...

I mean r u able to ping to PC in which tftp server is present.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a6744.shtml

Thanks,

Satish

i want to backup the old ios and load the newer ios ,i can ping the tftp server but when i do a copy flash tftp the switch tells me no such file. and i type it exactly like i see it .any help would be great.

Hi

Use the command copy flash:(filename) tftp

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi ,

which command you are using while taking backup of Image...

use the following command

config) # copy flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.3.WC.1.bin tftp:

It should work.

Thanks,

Satish

hey thanks guys for the help i did not have the right order i was able to backup the flash. now just one more ? to copy the flash from tftp server is it copy tftp flash:name of flash. thanks again for your time and help

copy tftp flash: hit enter , it will prompt you for the address, input that then it will prompt you for the imagename and input that and off you go .

hey thanks again floks for you input and helps.

think iam getting the hang of it, just one more ? why cant i delete the flash from my 2950 keep getting no file such if name need i was able to upload it to my tftp server but need to delete it to download the newest flash.

thanks again for any help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: