ICND Exam Switches & Router on a stick

Unanswered Question
Jun 14th, 2007

Hi Everyone!

I am getting ready to take my ICND exam at the beginning of August and I'm currently swotting up on my switching skills and was just wondering if anyone could tell me which model of switches are used in this exam. I am currently reading through the Cisco Press 'Command Quick Reference' and they give you commands for 1900, 2900 and 2950 series switches and all the commands vary in each model!!

I was also just wanting a quick clarification on the "router on a stick" definition. Am I right in thinking that instead of applying an ip address and subnet mask to the physical interface that connects to your LAN segment, you define logical sub-interfaces and then assign each logical interface a VLAN to handle traffic? So you don't apply an address and mask to the physical interface at all. I hope that's right but any clearer explanations on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mohammedmahmoud Thu, 06/14/2007 - 02:23

Hi,

For the router-on-a-stick part, you are totally correct, it is used in order not to require a separate physical interface per VLAN and thus only using one physical interface, with many subinterfaces (the switch port should be a Trunk port with the same Native VLAN) in the typical scenario you described.

As for the which switch part, i really can't remember, but let me check for you.

Good luck in your exam :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Actions

This Discussion