Helpful
Replies

SSH from a Router

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can i do SSH from a router session

[ I am connected to a router and needs to have an ssh session with firewall can I do it or need to have an SSH client installed on my desktop ]

9 Replies 9

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

AFAIK I dont think its possible to establish a SSH session from a router ...

regds

Hi,

you need that your router works like an SSH client? Sure it's possible:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hsec_c/part25/ch10/h_ssh2.htm#wp1061462

The Cisco router is like a Unix box ;)

HTH

Andrea

Edwin

It may be a version (or feature set) dependent thing. But it is certainly possible to establish a SSH session from an IOS router to some other device. I have done it many times and it works just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, but you need the K9 feature set for the SSH client on the source router.

Yes that is true. Any SSH (client or server) requires the K9 feature set. So it makes it at least feature set dependent. And on some older versions of code it is not supported.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I wasn't correcting you. I was replying to the OP.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edison

No problem. And I am not sure that there is any misunderstanding. You added a significant clarification that K9 (crypto image) is required for SSH. My response affirms that you are correct and changes my earlier statement that it MAY BE feature set dependent to it IS feature set dependent.

It adds a lot of value to the forum to have multiple people responding, each with their own perspective and their own piece of information to add. I value having you as a contributor and hope that you will continue to be active in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Glad we are clear - my sentiments exactly on everything you said :)

Thanks to all.

YES it works...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card