cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Phone Support

lombitsa2
Level 1
Level 1

HELP!!! I need to set up a remote 7960 phone to connect to our CME via a WAN. On the remote end there is a Linksys RV016 router, the phone has a NAT to a global IP address and the TFTP Server address set to the 7960 is the Gateway address of the 3825(CME)router. On the 3825, I have changed the settings to mtp and codec g729r8 so the remote phone uses CME. I have also tried to NAT the CME Service Module to a Global address but still get the the TFTP Timeout error.

19 Replies 19

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

can you configure port forwarding on the linksys so that TFTP (udp port 69) is forwarded to the phone ?

After that you may still encounter problems because the linksys might not support the SCCP protocol. In that case you can try converting the phone to SIP that is a protocol likely supported by NAT in the linksys.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

do i need sip on the CME or the linksys

CME has already support for SIP. Linksys doesn't need anything and should be able to support NAT for SIP already.

What you may need is a SIP image on the 7960 phone, that can be downloaded from CCO in the "voice software" area.

But do this only after you have made the TFTP successful, because this independent from SIP or SCCP.

Failing TFTP, you can configure the phone to use a local TFTP server on which you will copy the XML configuration file generated by the router.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate posts using the scrollbox below!

SIPv2 is running on the 3825, should i NAT the service module on the 3825, or is the the gateway address sufficient

Hello,

what I'm trying to tell you, is that the linksys router is blocking the TFTP replies from the CME router to the phone. This is why you should configure port-forwarding on the linksys router.

The service-module, that I understand to be your CUE, has nothing to do with the above.

I enabled port forwarding udp 69 to the remote phone its still timing out

On the CME router, you can enable "term mon" and "debug tftp-events" to see if at least, the request comes in.

However there is another problem that I didn't mentioned. CME will populate the "processNodeName" in the XML configuration file, with the address that you configured as "ip source" under "telephony-service". This address can be very well an private one, hence unreachable from the Internet.

The workaround, is to cut and paste the XML configuration file (you can see the file name doing "show telephony-service tftp-bindings" and "more ". into a file that you will place on a PC local to the 7960 phone running for example TFTP32, and change the "processNodeName" to the public address for CME.

After that the telephone should register OK, still subject to the potential problem of linksys not supporting SCCP.

All the complications above are the reason why cisco recommends running remote phones over a VPN.

how do i set up a vpn for the phones i wasnt able to find any literature specific to cme and remote phone vpns

You will need a router or PIX/ASA capable of doing VPN on both the remote and central sites.

I have a 3825 with CME 4.0 and a Linksys RV016 they are both capable of setting up a VPN

So go ahead and configure IPsec VPN:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7b1.html

Note on the CME you will need a k9 image.

Personally, I would try the workarounds exposed before rather than setting a VPN in multi-vendor environment, this is only my opinion however.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

what is the name of the xml file and where do i get it from

As I said before "show telephony-service tftp-bindings" will tell you all the filenames.

You will see some with mac address, but in reality also the xmldefault will be fine.

Visualize the file with "more ", copy and past into a text file, edit the CME address.

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/7960-tones.xml alias United_States/7960-to

nes.xml

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/7960-font.xml alias English_United_States/

7960-font.xml

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/7960-font.xml alias English_United_States/

7920-font.xml

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/7960-dictionary.xml alias English_United_S

tates/7960-dictionary.xml

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/7960-kate.xml alias English_United_States/

7960-kate.xml

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/7960-kate.xml alias English_United_States/

7920-kate.xml

tftp-server system:/its/united_states/SCCP-dictionary.xml alias English_United_S

tates/SCCP-dictionary.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault-2.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F35B212.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE8BBD0.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE8BB8F.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE7A42D.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault-2.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE7A187.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE7A274.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F44CA78.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F44C93F.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F44CB19.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE8BF53.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F35BEF4.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2FE8BF70.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F35B1F9.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F35B33D.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F44CB1D.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7960.cnf.xml alias SEP001A2F35AEEE.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/SEPDEFAULT.cnf

tftp-server system:/its/SEPDEFAULT.cnf alias SEPDefault.cnf

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault.cnf.xml alias XMLDefault.cnf.xml

tftp-server system:/its/ATADefault.cnf.xml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: