Views
Helpful
Replies

Pinging Between Switches

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have two switches connected to eachother, the access link runs over VLAN 170. If I have an IP address on one switch on int VLAN 170 and an IP address on the other switch (from the same sunbet) but on int VLAN 2, should they be able to ping each other?

Reason is, I have only VLAN 170 on one switch so I cannot have a L3 interface for VLAN 2.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

6 Replies 6

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Dan,

It should not ping but I have seen some cases where it was able to ping. This is caused due to vlan bleeding.

Regards,

Jagdeep

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

If is the same subnet is there any reason why you use different vlans on the 2 switches.

You could make the link between the 2 switches a trunk and then reallocate the vlan 2 port to be in vlan 170.

HTH

Jon

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Daniel,

Eventhough it is not recommanded to have two side of one access link in two different vlans, it will work, but only it will generate CDP Warnings i.e. vlan mismatch.... which you can avoid by disabling cdp on those ports.

Hope it clarifies your doubt.

Rate if it does,

Rgs

Hello,

Of course you can ping. If the two switches are connected each other using access link and not trunk you are able to ping from host which is on vlan 170 to host whis is on vlan 2 on the other. Reason: access link don't care with VLAN numbers, only trunk link do that, in access mode there is no tagged frame.

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

farkascsgy got it right...and yes, cdp will give warnings about VLAN / VTP domain mismatches.

Yes, but there is no sense to setup the same VTP domain on both switches, since access link is used between them. In this case I think there is no such error messages - but I can't recall exactly.

bye

FCS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: