cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU Receive Multicast Queue is full on Controller

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

Saw the above error msg on the WCS...Wireless Users are geting 169...addresses assigned to them..Anybody happens to know what this error msg indicates?

thanks.

3 Replies 3

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Which WCS are you using?

here is a link re the error message, explains a little, but is not much help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6308/products_qanda_item09186a008082c464.shtml

Are you running multicast on the controllers?

the 169 address is the zeroconf that windows PCs assign in the event they don't get a valid ip from a dhcp server.

Turn off multicast if you do not need it, your radios will thank you

Thanks for the response. We're using WCS 3.2.51.0 and so are the controllers in question. we have started migrating some controllers to 4.X and are planning to do the same with WCS next week....The multicast is turned off, so as the article is suggesting, these msg must be generated by the ARP msgs probably from the clients looking to get an IP address assigned...

I had the same errors from my WiSM controllers from the 3.X code all the way up till 4.0.217.0. Finally in 4.1.X the errors seem to have gone away. Like stated above limit multicast traffic if you can this will help. I still see them from time to time but unlike you my clients (3k online at any given time) never had IP issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card