cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone Services / Apps ?

danedevalcourt
Level 1
Level 1

Is there some way of testing easily on a PC whether a web site would work as a phone service/app ?

I know that the phones can view basic html/xml sites right as a service/app. But to test you have to create the service in callmanager then add it to a phone and such.

Was wondering if there is a simplier way for developers to just plugin the URL and see how it would look on the phone and if it would display correctly and such.

Finally working at a place that has a handful of internal sites that are based on stats related to something. I think this sort of info would be ideal to access and view quickly on the phone so thought I would test some of the sites out to see if any would work, and then figure out what it would take to make them look correctly.

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

In short, they are almost guaranteed to NOT work correctly.

The 'browser' in the phone is capable of displaying a small number of very specifically formatted XML Objects. If you return HTML, or images, or virtually anything it will simply display errors or the plain text (i.e. the uninterpreted HTML tags etc).

There are products that will proxy web sites and try to format them for the phones, but really you want your web developers to understand the browsers capabilities and develop specific pages for them.

If you don't have developers, something like http://www.ciplets.com/ or Cisco's CUAE will allow non-dev types to put together suitable applications. This does of course involve licensing costs...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!