cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inexpensive LAN -> LAN router with CLI access? (newbie question)

heathen00
Level 1
Level 1

Some newbie questions here. I've RTFMed and searched and read FAQs and docs, but ultimately could not ascertain 100% which models I should get and hope someone will be able to help me.

My needs are quite specific:

1. LAN -> LAN routing (two Ethernet ports)

2. Defeatable firewall (I need to pass all traffic back and forth)

3. Must be able to route private networks on both interfaces

4. Must have command line access for configuration and troubleshooting - IOS preferred

5. Should be inexpensive - we are looking to buy 40 - 50 for demos and classroom use, so costs add up very quickly.

Can either SOHO 91 or SB101 take care of my list? From the documentation I couldn't quite figure out if they had CLI access and unlimited configurability. Our bandwidth needs are very limited - about 2 Mbps per router. If not, what would be the cheapest solution given those parameters?

I've looked at other vendors, and ultimately I always encounter some inexplicable idiosyncracy or limitation ("for my own good", of course) I cannot overcome.

Thanks for any pointers.

7 Replies 7

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Please chek the 800 series Cisco router, it has four switch port (with advanced IP services it supports four VLANs), one WAN (can be ethernet, DSL, ISDN). If you need can provide WiFi service and of course you can manage using CLI. Price is near 600? (not so cheap, but Cisco)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/index.html

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

Please refer the Link below:

http://www.ciscowebtools.com/ProductAdvisor/child/1.0/

CISCO Product Advisory Tool

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Fascinating. The advisory tool doesn't even show the SOHO 91 or SB101 under Routers.

Always use the Cisco Router and Switch Guides

Thanks for telling me to RTFM. Indeed. However, I did mention in my post that I've RTFMed and searched and read FAQs and docs. They are written to show how existing features meet predominant market needs, not to be clear and show why a particular model might not be a good match for me. That's why I posted here, hoping for answers from people with personal experience, people who could address my specific needs.

Not to worry, though. I believe I found what seems to be the best answer and will pursue that. It will require some extra work, but considering I need 40-50 routers, it might be worth it.

Hi,

Didn't meant to tell you "RTFM" as you have assumed :) Please Never Assume :)

I always use these 2 documents to take my decision and they have always helped, and thats why i've suggested you to do the same in any future needs.

According to the documents i've provided and my personal experience, yes the SOHO would do it for you with all your needs, but the 800 series would be more reliable according to your traffic pattern, plus they support hardware encryption and wireless options if you require this.

Any way you are very very welcomed, take care and have a nice day.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Just to add a small bit, the SOHO is End-of-Life and End-of-Sale (this is why you didn't found it in the advisory tool), and thus Cisco has encouraged to migrate to the Cisco 850 Series Integrated Services Routers, if i were you i'd go to the 850 series (according to your budget of course).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps4866/prod_eol_notice0900aecd804d5ad6.html

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco