Idea for reporting Spam - what do you think about?

Unanswered Question
Jun 14th, 2007

It would be great (and simple enough) if all our internal users could report Spam to a single mail-address inside the company (i.e. [email protected]).

My idea: The IronPort-machine could check such a mail-account. If a mail-originator will be detected X-times, this kind of mail will be forwarded to IronPort for further analysis.

I think, this would help me:
- I don't have to deploy the outlook-plugin for many many machines
- I don't have to write instructions on how to use
- The users know that one takes them seriously

and IronPort:
- They would get more reports
- They could do some checks on the IronPort-machine before sending the mails to the HQ

What do you think about? Do you let every single user report Spam?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lucas.castro_ir... Thu, 06/14/2007 - 20:05

Hi again,

i think its much more efficient create a bunch of spam traps and on the other side, you can write some internal html tutorial with how to install/use the submission plugin to your users.

You dont need even to create this tutorial, just port the original pdf instructions that come along with the plugin to this internal site and its done.

Pat_ironport Thu, 06/14/2007 - 22:22

I think that everyone would report unwanted (<>Spam!) mails to IronPort. Could you imagine, how many mails will flow to them just to recognize, that 90% is "unwanted" because it's boring advertising, but not really Spam?

I'm a little bit afraid about that. I'm wrong? :oops:

Donald Nash Sat, 06/16/2007 - 21:55

I think that everyone would report unwanted (<>Spam!) mails to IronPort.

IronPort is evidently willing to put up with this because they make the OL plug-in so readily available. I asked one of their product managers about it a couple of days ago, having the same concern as you do. He said that they are equipped and ready to deal with false complaints.

And yes, people have a very bad habit of reporting all mail they don't want as spam. It's very annoying.

This Discussion