Views
Helpful
Replies

l2 vlan

upendra07
Level 1
Level 1

dear

can i create vlan on any l2 or router.can i use router as a l3.

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can create L2 Vlans in Layer 2 Switches and SVI (Switched Vlan Interface Vlan interface with ip address) can be configured/created in Layer 3 Switches..

In Layer 2 Switch you will be allowed to create a single L3 SVI inerface which can have ip address assigned and used for management purpose...

In router you wont be able to create VLANs in normal ethernet ports where in you can create subinterfaces with different dotlq encapsulations..

But these days you have these ESW Modules which you can install in the router and on which you can create vlans..

regds

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

VLANs are created on switches to applied under layer 2 ports in order to have VLAN (Virtual LANs), where each bunch of layer 2 ports belongs to (broadcast domain).

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

i want to know can i create vlan in l2 switches.

Hi

Assuming you have a switch which runs IOS

1) switch(config)# vlan 100

2) switch(config-vlan)# name vlan100

Your switch must be in VTP server or VTP transparent mode. You can check this with

"sh vtp status"

This will create a layer 2 vlan only. If you want to route between this vlan and other you will need to create a lyer 3 interface

switch(config)# int vlan 100

switch(config-if)# ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

switch(config-if)# no shut

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card