cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery for WS-CE500-24LC

a.shaukat
Level 1
Level 1

I lost the password for a user on one of my CE500 switch.

how do i recover it ?? is there an enable password to recover in case i dont remember the username as well ???

Need Help.. !!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Hey, i've never recovered a CE500, but i've finally found you the steps, and they are really simple:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080531daa.html#wp78778

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Atif,

Please do use the following document for doing password recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps777/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008007fcf9.html#xtocid286736

Mohammed Mahmoud.

isnt this password recovery for a cisco router..??

im using cisco CE500 switch...

part # WS-CE500_24LC

Hi,

Sorry for the bad link, in the cases if you forget the password for the Catalyst Express 500 Series Switches you'll have to reset the it to Default Factory Settings.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Hey, i've never recovered a CE500, but i've finally found you the steps, and they are really simple:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080531daa.html#wp78778

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Most switches follow this way of password recovery:

First hold the mode button down while you power up the switch, so it boots into rommon.

>rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

>boot

then when you've booted into the blank switch:

#rename flash:config.old flash:config.text

#copy flash:config.text system:running-config

Now the switch will load the config and you can change passwords. Hope this works for you.

-Chris

CE 500 switches dont have a cli mode.. so u cant telnet to them or console ports either... so no way of going into the rommon mode :p

ul have to hold the setup buttion on start up and a port blinks green connect the pc to that ( getting automatic ip from the switch 10.0.0.x range)

see what default gateway u get and open that ip on a browser.. itll ask to remove the config or the whole image or factory default etc.. select that and restart the switch with nothing connected to it....

after restarting whenthe setup led is green. press setup so the green led starts to blink.. now another port will blink.. conenct the pc to that.. this time ul get a 169 range (i guess) see the gateway and open it on a browser again.... that brings u to the WEB MANAGEMENT interface to play around with the switch....

lol was fun doing that.. cisco sure has a way to twist n turn things around..

lol tc u all..

thanks for the help mehmood.. :-)

I am very happy to see this post.

I have a task to install it for a customer. All I have is the mode. I was going to prepare normal commands. For any new device especially the previously used one; I usually check how to reset the password and how to restore the factory default. Your post was a shock for me. But it gave me very useful information. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card