Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6 User Tracking - minor trackin not running

rd9689
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have LMS 2.6, Campus Manager 4.06 on a Solaris platform.

User Tracking is configured to run minor acquisitions every 55 minutes. However, I don't believe minor acquistition has EVER run. It is now 9am and the last entry I see in the UT.log is from 3:54am (my last Major acquistion ran at 3am). Any ideas?

thanks

Bob

10 Replies 10

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Doesn't look like Minor Acquisition logs to ut.log. Mine's not been written to since midnight when Major acquistion last ran.

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you enabled any UT debugs (vmpsadmin module)?

How many end hosts are you normally discovering?

We have about 66,000 hosts.

I've not enabled any UT debugs. Not sure what debugs relevant to minor acquisition I can turn on (or how to turn them on) or if I'd get anything as UT does work fine for Major acquisitions, it just doesn't seem to pick up changes (Minor acquisitions)

thanks

Bob

Is there any way to tell if minor acquisition has ever run? We have it set for 55 minutes but still see no evidence of it ever running.

You can enable vmpsadmin debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Campus Data Collection > Debugging Options, then check the ani.log to see if it's kicking off the minor acquisition. Note: a minor acquisition only looks at devices that changed during the last Campus Data Collection. So, if nothing has changed, or a Data Collection has not been run in the last 55 minutes, then the minor acquisition will just start and stop.

So if I move my laptop from switchA to switchB it will only pick up the change after Campus Data Collection has run? Otherwise it won't pick it up till the next major acquisition?

thanks

Bob

I'm starting to understand.

I want to know if a PC has moved to a different switch or even a different port on the same switch.

Could you please tell me if the statements below are true.

If a Major UT Acquisition is run, it will pick up the change.

If a Scheduled Data Collection is run, and then a Minor UT Acquisition, it will pick up the change.

If a Data Collection Poll (which runs every 2 hours) and then a Minor UT Acquisition is run, it will pick up the change.

Finally, are there any issues (DB corruption) with a data collection job and UT aquisition job running at the same time?

Thanks!

Bob

The Data Collection poll will not detect this change, but the others will.

LMS 3.0 will include a feature called Dynamic User Tracking that will rely on MAC notification traps to automatically detect changes like this in the network.

There are no data corruption issues with running a DC and UT acquisition at the same time, but you shouldn't do it. UT relies heavily on DC data, so you may end up performing a useless UT acquisition until Data Collection has had a chance to commit its findings.

jclarke,

Thank you very much for clearing things up.

That feature in LMS 3.0 sounds good. When is that scheduled for release?

Assuming the main requirement for LMS at my client is User Tracking, and knowing that Data Collection is approx 2 hrs 10 minutes, and

Major UT is 1 hr 2 minutes. I see these options (assuming my day starts at 8am).

#1 Run Data Collection at 8am, ends about 10:15, sometime in the next hour a minor UT runs. It could be after 11am before I get any UT data.

#2 Run Major UT at 8am, it finishes at 9:05am. Run Data Collection very infrequently, once or twice a day. Don't even run Minor UT.

Basically it seems to me I'm better served running Major UT every 2 hours at a minimum and running Data Collection very infrequently.

Does this make sense?

thanks again

Bob

LMS 3.0 is already orderable, and will start shipping at the end of the month.

Option 2 sounds like the way to go. If the network topology is stable, you do not need to run Data Collection very frequently.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: