Views
Helpful
Replies

Last clearing of counters - never

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I have a router here which states that the clearing of counters is "never". I cleared them last week, why would it show this value? The only things that we're done on the router since then we're a couple of static routes, a copy of the running config to the startup config and a backup to the tftp server.

Would any of the above result in the issue?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The "never" means that since the last reload. So if the router has reloaded (by you or by power cycle)after cleared the interface then it will show "never".

Check the show ver and will see the router uptime.

Hope it helps,

Krisztian

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

I would not think that adding static routes, copying the config to startup or to TFTP server would impact tracking of clearing the counters. Is it possible that the router rebooted somewhere along the line?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot guys.

The router definitely rebooted 2 days ago and it wasn't by me.

Here is what I saw on the router:

System restarted by bus error at PC 0X2118042, address 0X30322060

Any idea what this is and what caused it?

Hi,

Let's try to check the show context. It will show the reason of the reload. You may have to contact your Cisco partner for replacment, but let's check this link first:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800cdd51.shtml

Hope it helps, rate if does

Krisztian

Dan

The reload certainly explains the symptom of clearing counters never. Restart by bus error is sometimes a software error and sometimes a hardware error. And at this point we do not have enough information to know which it is. Depending on the access privileges of your CCO login the Error Message Decoder or the Output Interpreter might give you insight into the issue. This link might also give you some help in working this issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800cdd51.shtml

and of course there is the alternative of opening a case with Cisco TAC about it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

sorry about the doublepost

Thank You very much guys, I will look in to it. I wasn't aware of the reload on tuesday.

Hey guys,

I looked in to this further. I have discovered that the issue is with the IOS.

I cannot run the interpreter tool b/c I don't have the privledges.

At this point, do you guys recommend that I just replace/upgrade the IOS? If so, where can I obtain the IOS for a cisco 1000 series router?

If not, do you recommend that I should just monitor the router for now to determine if this type of crash happens again? Can these type of issues be rare instances?

Thanks

Dan

To upgrade the code on the router you would get the code from the Cisco web site. Normally that requires a service contract with Cisco. If you have a service contract then it is easy. If you do not have a service contract and if you purchased the router from Cisco there may be a way to get software. There have been some Security Advisories about some problems in which Cisco will provide replacement software even without a service contract. I found this quote in one of the Security Advisories from Cisco:

Customers who purchase direct from Cisco but who do not hold a Cisco service contract and customers who purchase through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful at obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should get their upgrades by contacting the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC). TAC contacts are as follows.

* +1 800 553 2447 (toll free from within North America)

* +1 408 526 7209 (toll call from anywhere in the world)

* e-mail: tac@cisco.com

Have your product serial number available and give the URL of this notice as evidence of your entitlement to a free upgrade. Free upgrades for non-contract customers must be requested through the TAC.

The link where I found it is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisory09186a0080847c5d.shtml

And depending on how the router is being used and on how often the problem happens, it might work to just monitor the router. Sometimes these issues are rare (and sometimes they are not).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot guys.

The router definitely rebooted 2 days ago and it wasn't by me.

Here is what I saw on the router:

System restarted by bus error at PC 0X2118042, address 0X30322060

Any idea what this is and what caused it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco