cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog debug messages not being logged - LMS 2.6

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

I am having trouble getting debug messages into the syslog. This is what I know:

1. Syslog messages are being sent from the device. I verified this with a sniffer.

2. Information messages (conf t, exit) ARE making it into syslog.

3. Went to filters and disabled Sev 7 message filter

4. Turned on debug logging on CW. I never see an indication of the debug messages being received in AnalyzerDebug.log I DO see the informational messages being received.

What am I missing?

Thanks - Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your latter statement is correct. Debugging output is not in a format that SyslogCollector understands. Those messages will never be put in the RME database. The Sev 7 message filter are for debugging MESSAGES that are formatted like proper syslog messages, and contain a facility-severity-mnemonic header.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you're conflating debug logging from two different sources: 1-3 are syslogging from network devices, while 4 is the internal app debug logging of LMS.

Since LMS reads from local7.info, I think that precludes Syslog Analysis from ever reading in the debug syslogs. Someone from Cisco once told me the debug syslogs have a different format that CiscoWorks can't handle, when explaining why my LMS 2.2 Syslog Analysis had no end of trouble after local7.info was changed to local7.debug.

Your latter statement is correct. Debugging output is not in a format that SyslogCollector understands. Those messages will never be put in the RME database. The Sev 7 message filter are for debugging MESSAGES that are formatted like proper syslog messages, and contain a facility-severity-mnemonic header.

OK, well that is an interesting "feature". Guess I'll just configure my sniffer to capture the frames and extract the messages from the capture files.

Thanks for the info!

I found a more interesting solution. Kiwi syslogd freeware. Tried it and verified that it does capture debug messages.

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/syslog-info.php

Anything incorrect?

Nope. You are apparently correct - LMS 2.6 will not handle debug messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: