Views
Helpful
Replies

Power for Lightweight Access Point

mirboukai
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have a Lightweight Access point that connected to a non POE switch.

and its tacking the power from the power injector.

Is there any problem will appear when I change the configuration at the controller (( it will ask to reboot the access point)) but as i mention its powered with an power injector..

or in another word if I use the power injector we will face any trouble or any bugs

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Muzzaffar,

We have some LWAPP AP's that use power injectors with no issues. You may have to enter the following info in the WLC;

While the AP boots, with its Intelligent Power Management feature, it negotiates with the switch via Cisco Discovery Protocol messages in order to provide the necessary power to the AP. Even though the power injector is connected to the AP, the AP that uses this Intelligent Power Management feature gives priority to the Cisco Discovery Protocol information in order to identify whether or not the switch can provide the power. Therefore, after the Cisco Discovery Protocol message shows that the switch does not provide sufficient power (since it is not an inline power capable switch), the AP disables its radios. At this time, the status LED of the AP turns orange and this error message is recorded:

[ERROR] : AP has not enough in-line power

to enable radio slot 1 In order to overcome this problem, issue the

config ap power injector enable installed

command on the controller that is connected with this AP. This command is available from controller version 3.2.116.21. Ensure that you use the correct version in the controller.

This command specifies that a power injector is used in order to supply sufficient power to the AP.

From this doc;

Cisco Aironet and WLAN Controller Product Power Options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00800946e7.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card