cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple redundant ISPs, two routers running BGP

oj88
Level 1
Level 1

I've been given a task to design a network that's basically should have access to the Internet "whatever happens". The end user's into eCommerce/Trading and they're willing to spend for this.

I have some ideas on my head, the most promising being I use two routers connecting to four ISPs (2 on each router). This router runs BGP and receives partial or full routes (depending on the chosen router model).

Then on the back, I'm thinking of GLBP for single GW setup and load balancing. I may get away with just using the routers as a simple firewall (Adv. IP Services IOS) if an ASA 5500 poses a problem for GLBP's multiple virtual macs.

Further behind, a Cisco Catalyst 4507R with redundant PS and Sup engine to tie them all together.

Can anyone validate this setup? I've read somewhere that GLBP is unable to track BGP routes. Is this true? Any gotchas on this setup?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have similar setup: two border routers connecting to two different ISP with BGP - only default route is received. ASA cluster is connected to both border routers, on the ASA cluster the default route is an HSRP standby address (of course it has virtual MAC). HSRP is configured on the two border routers and link activity is monitored in case of one ISP failure automatically take over the the HSRP master role the other router. Of course to do this you need at least /24 IP address from both ISPs.

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card