VLANs

Unanswered Question
Jun 18th, 2007

Hi guys, I am playing around with my home CCNA lab and want to set up some VLANS.

I am using a 2950 switch and a 2501 router. My question here is, do I simply create a trunk on the port that connects the switch to the router and add the VLAN traffic over that trunk?

Something like:

int fa0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1 110

Where 1 is the native VLAN and 110 is a VLAN created using vlan database

Does this seem right? Do I need to allow native VLAN or is this allowed by default?

If I am trying to route between VLANS suing a single router as in this case, so I simply place an IP address on the router that covers all of the subnets that the VLANS are on? I tried to use ip address mask secondary on the E0 interface on the router but that did not work. Hope that makes sense?

Thanks,

Dean

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Mon, 06/18/2007 - 04:39

Dean

Your biggest issue is that the 2501 router does not support trunking on the Ethernet 0 interface. So this experiment with multiple VLANs will not work (unless you change equipment).

If you create multiple VLANs on the 2950 (which it certainly can do), and if you create a trunk on the 2950 to carry the VLANs, and if you have a router that supports trunking, then on the router you would create multiple subinterfaces on its LAN interface, and you would assign an IP address on each subinterface which would be the subnet for that VLAN.

HTH

Rick

quiksilv3r Mon, 06/18/2007 - 04:42

Thanks Rick, yes that makes sense, so if I had a router capable of trunking, and configured multiple sub interafces, then the commands above is all I need to do? In particular the native VLAN, is that allowed by default?

Dean

Actions

This Discussion