CVP HARD disks configured in RAID 1 ASAP

Unanswered Question
Jun 18th, 2007

I have a CVP server of MCS 7845 having 4 hard disks of 72GB configured in RAID 1 in those 4 hard disks 2 of them are for mirroring purpose.

my CVP'S 2 hard disks are crashing so i decided to replace it with a Dialer hard disk which is in a working condition now the issue is if replace the crashed hard disk with a dilaer hard disk which will mirror the other ? since i dont want my cvp to be configured as a dialer .

the second thing is that is there any way i can format one single drive out of four hard drives.

please answer these 2 questions

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

I'm more familiar with the MCS-7845-H1, based on the HP DL380 G4, than say the IBM unit or the newer MCS-7845-H2 based on the HP DL380 G5 which has small-form factor SAS (Serial Access SCSI) drives.

You should have four SCSI drives in two pairs, each pair configured as a RAID1 array, probably C: and D:. A normal install of CVP (I assume you mean a CVP Combo box with Voice Browser and Application Server) will not place software on the D: drive. Is that true for you?

What exactly is failing? One drive in each array? If that's the case, you could "break" the mirror on the D: drive, discard the failed drive and install the good drive as a single drive. Once this is done, that good drive could serve as a replacement drive for the failed drive in the C: array.

When you have a failed drive in a RAID array, it's best to replace the drive with a new unused drive of the same speed and capacity and the array will automatically mirror the good drive to the new drive.

You have to be careful if you replace the bad drive with a drive from another machine that was previously configured as part of a RAID array pair. In some cases, it may mirror the wrong way. You are better off getting a new drive to be sure.

The machine is under warranty, so simply lodge a TAC case and they will supply a new drive.

Regards,

Geoff

haroon.rasheed Mon, 06/18/2007 - 08:25

Thank you for your reply

Drive 1---> Drive 2

Drive 3---> Drive 4

In our our scenerio drive 2 and 4 are failing.

All the 4 drives are 72GB but we have a single viewable drive of 135GB which is C:

there isnt any other drive available now would you please explain it to me that how can i break the mirror in my case.

as you said that failed Drive should be replaced with a new one can you refer some document which can support this statement of yours so that it would easier for me to explain it to others.

i would be thankful for your cooperation and coordination.

Is this a CVP Combo box or a CVP VXML Servers?

Why did you create a huge C: partition like that? You have made an area that's greater than the capacity of the drives.

I'm assuming the way you did this is you made two RAID1 arrays, each of 72GB at the raid controller level, and then told Windows to make those two into one C: partition.

The other way is you actually have two 72GB drives in a RAID0 array to get 135GB.

I'm having trouble visualizing what you have.

Is this an HP box? If so, go to Start > Programs > HP System Tools > HP Array Configuration Utility and tell me exactly how the array has been set up.

Regards,

Geoff

haroon.rasheed Mon, 06/18/2007 - 09:15

i have some of the screen shots which can be help full for you.

and please can you refer some document which could state that its not recomended to use an old drive.

i appreciate your concern.

thanks alot.

Attachment: 

That pic1 is is more information. I just want to see the Physical View. You showed us the Logical View and all you have to do is click on the hyperlink. Still, that info posted is reasonable.

So, when you installed this machine did you use the Smart Array utility at the BIOS level and ask it to build a RAID1 array with all 4 drives in the mix, giving you a RAID capacity of 140GB?

Why did you do that instead of the more logical method of making two RAID1 arrays of 72GB each?

CVP does not need much space and does not consume much space while logging, so you have done a quite unusual thing. You must have a reason.

When I build Combo boxes I just get a DL380 with a pair of 36GB drives. If I had a MCS7845 from Cisco (an expensive box), I'd take 2 drives out and put them aside as spares and then make the 2 x 72GB drives into a RAID 1 array. I typically create two partitions and use Ghost to give me a partition image on the second partition.

If I was you, you have two choices:

(a) Put in a TAC case and get them to send two new 72 GB drives.

(b) I'd contemplate rebuilding the box correctly. Grab the two drives that work and use just those ones in a 72GB drive and reinstall CVP. Config is easy unless you have a ton of trans route DNIS.

Of course, you have redundant CVP Combo boxes don't you - so your call center would not be affected when you take this box off line?

Regards,

Geoff

haroon.rasheed Mon, 06/18/2007 - 13:15

I am sending u the Physical view. i've some qustions too.

1. How can i come to know that which drive is using as Master drive i.e. Origional and which drive is Mirroring drive i.e. copying data from the orgional one.

2. If i take drive out from any other runngin machine and put it into CVP machine. How can i be assure that it'll start mirroring as well as how to formate this drive before installing into CVP machine.

3. In the last, can u provide me some authentic document which tells that replacing Hard drive from and running machine is not good. Infact i am third party person and i have to define all these situation to the Customer. Because replacing the hard drive from any running machine to CVP machine was provided by customer.

My STRONG suggestion is to put in a TAC case and get two new drives shipped out to you and use those. Don't mess with this stuff.

You can make a mistake. Do you want to risk it?

This should work.

If you take a drive that was previously configured as part of a RAID array, it has been labeled by the controller.

In order to be sure that it will not mirror down when you add it to an existing array, you should make sure it's not part of an array.

You can issue the command at the BIOS level in the Smart Array config tool to clear the label, but I've forgotten.

The easiest way is to go onto the machine you are stealing the drive from and break the mirror. I'd do that at the BIOS version of the Smart Array config tool.

Remove the drive and reboot. Watch the BIOS messages and ensure it's not complaining about a missing drive.

Power it down and put the drive back in and reboot to the Smart Array config tool. Add the drive as a stand-alone drive. Let it boot. Ensure that Disk Management shows you the drive. Do a quick format to clean it.

Now you can be sure that if you take that drive and hot-swap it into the running CVP server that it will see that new drive as a replacement for the broken drive and mirror correctly.

Regards,

Geoff

Actions

This Discussion