cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cabling for IP phones

smeloche
Level 1
Level 1

Were planning the installation of Call Manager Express in our office but someone told us that we need to change our network cabling which is "cat-5 atm 4pr 24awg UL/CSA/ETL 350mhz" for cat-5e cables. Do we really need to change or are we Ok with existing cables?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Stephane,

Cat5 is perfectly fine and is used in many many areas. We have hundreds of phones working on each type Cat5,Cat5e and Cat6 depending on what area on Campus they are located in.

In fact you can install IP Phones with 10mb connection on Cat3 cable (now that is "old school").

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Stephane,

Cat5 is perfectly fine and is used in many many areas. We have hundreds of phones working on each type Cat5,Cat5e and Cat6 depending on what area on Campus they are located in.

In fact you can install IP Phones with 10mb connection on Cat3 cable (now that is "old school").

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

This is very helpful since I'm not familiar with IP telephony and was a little confuse having different answers from suppliers. I think one of them (Bell) was trying to make a litle more money selling us the system, I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks again!

Stephane