cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a specific WAN port when it is available

treebug00
Level 1
Level 1

I need to add an expansion card to my 2801 router. Currently, I have a FE0/0, FE0/1, and a BRI0/3/0 interface.

I am connected to our corporate network on FE0 and on FE1 is my lan. We have a satellite uplink that we are testing. This uplink is not always up, but I would like for the lan traffic to be able to route through this interface when it is connected. The way it is set up right now we have to manually switch the cable from FE0/0 to the uplink we are using and then configure the default gateway and the ip on that interface.

I need to:

1. Figure out the expansion card I need to support a second ethernet wan interface and install it

2. Configure the router to be able to use the satellite interface when it is available (without having the users configure the device)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

1. HWIC-1FE or HWIC-2FE

2. What is there on the other side of the link? If a router of your own, setup a routing protocol with an higher metric.

If there is internet you can use IP SLA but is a bit more advance configuration.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

There is a corporate network that I cannot do anything with

With the satellite I do not have a router I just get a public IP and an ethernet hookup, I can't do anything with that equipment.

Then as I said above you can do the "IP SLA" configuration by virtue of which you monitor an object on your network with ping or other protocol and once it not reachable anymore a track statement in the static router will make it go away so you will use another router.

It's a bit of advanced configuration because it requires PBR also to make sure that the probes are always sent out to the specific interface you are monitoring.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco