cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Security Manager & Cat6k in client/server vtp mode

vanoverschelde
Level 1
Level 1

Why won't CSM parse the config of a cat6k that is in client or server vtp mode?

Why does it have to be transparant mode?

4 Replies 4

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

This chapter describes the VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) on the Catalyst 4000 family switches. It also provides guidelines, procedures, and configuration examples.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/12ew/configuration/guide/vtp.html

I have 6500 switches in my network configured as VTP servers and I can not change them to transparent.

Is there any way to add them into Security Manager 3.1 with SERVER mode configured?

I have 6500 switches in my network configured as VTP servers and I can not change them to transparent.

Is there any way to add them into Security Manager 3.1 with SERVER mode configured?

Hi,

I am the TME for CSM. Currently CSM will only support VTP transparent since we only parse the running-config file. If you are running server/client it means that your vlan configuration will NOT be in the running-config (but in a seperate file). CSM doesn't read this file so things break. Next version of CSM (3.2 Q1CY08) will work with VTP server/client. The way it works is that it still won't read this extra file but instead it will ignore the whole vlan configuration. So you won't be able to create new vlans when running server/client but still you can assign vlans to interfaces using CSM. You will be personally responsible in making sure the vlan really exist when you configure it in CSM..(so you do this via CLI).

Erik Lenten

TME CSM

elenten@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: