cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP with EIGRP

hunter886
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am running hsrp on a network work that uses EIGRP as it's protocol. The problem we are having is when the line protocol goes down and the line stays up (i.e. up/down state) HSRP doesn't failover because it sees the line still up. Can HSRP be configured to look for eigrp routing updates to determine when to failover?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Harold Hall

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Harold

In terms of your specific question I do not believe that there is any way to have HSRP failover based on EIGRP routing updates.

There are some aspects of your explanation that I do not understand. Are you saying that you are running HSRP on an interface, and that the interface goes protocol down, and that HSRP is not failing over? That would be very strange. Every time I have seen HSRP running on an interface and the interface goes protocol down then HSRP has failed over to the other router.

Perhaps you can supply some specifics from your configuration so that we can better understand your issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Harold,

HSRP Object Tracking is designed to address the problem you are running into.

Have a look at this link.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541be.html#wp1146585

Rick,

I just noticed you responded to this post as well. I agree it's a little unclear what's the exact nature of the problem but I am assuming Harold might be doing HSRP tracking of WAN interface and if that indeed is the case then HSRP object tracking would help. More details would definitely help us provide an accurate solution.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card