IPS - tcp segment overwrite - WAY TOO MANY

Unanswered Question

We had consultants install our new ips. They recommended plugging into a switch connecting our firewall to our internet router. We have a bunch of VPN tunnels terminating at our ASA firewall from our remote offices. When I check the logs on the IPS, there are tons of alerts for "tcp segment overwrite" and alot of them come from the vpn sites. My question is, what can I do to alleviate some of these messages? I can't believe that we are being attacked this much.

To clarify our installation, we have 2 switches, one in each of our two buildings, and they are connected via fibre. We have a ASA in each building and they are setup for redundancy. Our IPS has only one interface plugged into the same vlan the hosts the firewall and the internet router.

thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jlimbo Mon, 06/18/2007 - 17:29
User Badges:

If this is in an inline scenario the offending packets are dropped by default. To investigate it further I check to see what other alerts are triggering for the offending hosts. This will give you more information to ascertain what these hosts are really doing.

mhellman Tue, 06/19/2007 - 05:43
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

we have the same issue. we see them too much in "normal" traffic for the sig to be useful.

Actions

This Discussion