cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

show spanning-tree redundancy

bryan.lofland
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 4506 that has redundant cable connections to other switches in the network. I am currently running:

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I9K91S-M), Version 12.2(25)EWA8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

If I do a "show spanning ?" there is an option to complete it using:

show spanning redundancy

however, it shows nothing and using the Cisco command lookup tool results no results. Does anyone know what this command is supposed to inform me of?

Thanks,

Bryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bryan,

Looking into the code, I can guess that this command was implemented with the intend of returning some statistics about HA (high availability) STP events. This code is returning nothing. I'm surprised that this command is not at least hidden;-) Now, it may have been added for the sake of consistency with the CLI of some other features... I think you can just ignore this command for now.

Regards,

Francois

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bryan,

Looking into the code, I can guess that this command was implemented with the intend of returning some statistics about HA (high availability) STP events. This code is returning nothing. I'm surprised that this command is not at least hidden;-) Now, it may have been added for the sake of consistency with the CLI of some other features... I think you can just ignore this command for now.

Regards,

Francois

Thanks for the info! I had no idea that STP was truly HA aware (like HSRP, VRP, etc.) I would imagine given the nature of STP that it itself couldn't be HA aware.

The STP structures are synced (in particular port state and role, which is relatively expensive). When a switchover occurs, the timers are restarted on the newly active, but this aside, it is pretty much ready to go.

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card