cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Reliable IP Route

oj88
Level 1
Level 1

Just found out about this IOS feature quite recently and I do have a question about it...

In a scenario such as below:

ISP1

/

R1-------| LAN

\

ISP2

I would typically have two default-routes configured on R1 performing load-balancing:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 203.12.13.14

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 123.4.5.6

Can I use IP SLA to track both static routes, removing one if it has failed? How?

The alternative is of course to run BGP with the ISPs. But the extra complexity and expense might be too much overkill. The end user simply wants load-balancing and redundancy for web browsing only.

4 Replies 4

anandramapathy
Level 3
Level 3

Possible using Object Tracking

Check the following Link.

HTH - Please rate all useful posts.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html#wp1072790

Follow-up question:

The doc states that: "This feature is supported in all Cisco IOS software images for the Cisco 1700 series modular access routers except the Cisco IOS IP Base image."

So, will it work on the ISRs? (2800, 3800, etc)?

Hi,

Yes it does, please use Cisco Feature Navigator to find information about platform support and Cisco IOS software image support:

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

srimural
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

what is the link you are using to connect to ISP. if its a serial link the ip route which you are giving will go off if the link goes down and the traffic will take the secondary link. This reliable static routes will help you in connections to the ISP like a DSL,Metro Ethernet in these cases if the switched network in the service provider fails you will see the local link up and will create a black hole for the static route as there are no keep alive mechanism for a static route. In this scenario we will have the SAA feature to help us.

I hope my reply has clarified your query.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinath.M

Cable&Wireless

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card