cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3G-WIC and SIM-card

Svante Bolander
Level 1
Level 1

We are investigating migrating from ISDN to 3G/UMTS access for a couple of remote sites and think the 3G-WIC will be a good substitute. According to the documentation you have to authenticate to the service provider through PPP to get IP-access. This seems straightforward and IOS standard. What we not have found in the documentation is how to enter the PIN-code of the SIM-card, which remains locked without a PIN-code, and will not register in the umts-network.

Is there anyone having practical experience of unlocking SIM-cards on the 3G-WIC? Is there a IOS command for this?

7 Replies 7

ctermini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Assuming this is purely for SIM access it would be expected to leave the SIM unlocked whilst in the HWIC installed in the router. Physically securing the host router would be one option. I have not seen SIM PIN features documented. The network operators can also offer either managed (via a hosted AAA server) or proxied (to your AAA server) for SIM authentication.

r.heitmann
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have your 3G-WIC already up and running? Im interested in this solution, too but can't even find the datasheet for this product on cco...

A good starting point is

cisco.com/go/3g

thanx, i've just found it using the search-string "Hwic 3g" :-)

Can you tell me, if there is an antenna included? The Dynamic-Configuration-Tool doesn't worry about configuring it without antenna-option!?

it's correct, that the "Dipole Omnidirectional " is included? (This is the default antenna. Multiband faceplate mounted dipole antenna. This antenna is included with all faceplate-mounted 3G wireless WAN HWICs.)

Hi,

Once the SIM is unlocked does it need to re-unlocked each time the router is reloaded?

Driss BENATTOU
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Can you try this:

Router# cellular 0/1/0 gsm sim ?

lock lock SIM card

unlock unlock SIM card

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look for the 860, 880 and the 890 ISRs. An autonomous/lightweight AP is an option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: