cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point Help

omgjames1
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 1131AG access points that i am setting up in my office building. I would like to setup each ap in such a way that if a user is connected wirelessly that can "roam" throughout the building, and if they get dropped off, once they are in range again to any of the 3 ap's they will connect automatically. What do I need to do in order to make this happen?

4 Replies 4

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

You would just need to have the same SSID on each AP. It is your choice as to what security you want to run on the AP and client. Just set the client up with the same SSID and security settings and they will automatically connect and roam.

Seth Rosenthal, CWNE #55

can you recommend something for security?

Is there a way to setup a notification once someone connects to the AP?

As for security, the simplest most secure method I can suggest to you would be WPA2-PSK. Use a very strong Pre-Shared key, 10 character, alpha numeric and special character with AES encryption. Unless you have a radius server, then you could set up PEAP.

The only way I can think of setting up notification would be using SNMP traps.

Seth Rosenthal, CWNE #55

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card