cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Help

ayussuf
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scope of /24 and another of /25. I want to run BGP and for some reason it it not functioning. If I unplug one cable the other dosn't kick in. I blue all the old config out. So, if someone cal walk me through this, it will be great.

Thank you

8 Replies 8

aravindhs
Level 1
Level 1

More info required. Can you post your config and elaborate a bit on what you are trying to achieve exactly ?

My config is as follows....I am trying to have redundancy. Ethernet hand-off is on ether 3/0 and T1 is on ser 3/1...

interface Ethernet3/0

ip address 69.176.208.2 255.255.255.0

full-duplex

interface Serial3/1

description TO UUNET

!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

interface Serial3/1.1 point-to-point

b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!

!

router bgp 27241

no synchronization

no bgp log-neighbor-changes

network 69.176.208.0 mask 255.255.255.0

ip nat translation tcp-timeout 3600

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial3/1.1

no ip http server

ip pim bidir-enable

!

!

So, you have two internet exits, one on Eth3/0 and the other on Ser3/1.1. And you want all the traffic destined towards the internet to flow out through Ser3/1.1. If this Serial link fails, you want your traffic towards the internet to flow out through Eth3/0. Is this what your requirement is ?

Correct

ascinetworks
Level 1
Level 1

You cannot be able to advertise a /25 subnet with BGP. No subnets smaller than /24 are permitted.

Also, please provide more architecture information. Are you trying to connect a single router to multiple ISPs?

yes

where are your neigbor statements? Can you provide an idea how your architecture is set up?

It may be easier to have specific a /30 each for the physical link to each ISP and use that to peer with and then advertise the /24 en /25 to both as you seem to have your own AS.

hi,

Frist of all, is the absence of BGP neighbor command a typo or not ? If not, BGP is not like other routing protocols, it needs manual configuration of its neighbors (uses unicast TCP sessions over port 179 rather than broadcast or multicast).

As for the second part, the policy of the internet is to drop any classes less than /24, you would be able to advertise it to your provider, but the internet will drop this kind of routes.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card